30 Jun A Simple Guide to Building Your First Home
The process of building a new home can be an incredibly exciting yet totally overwhelming experience, however building allows you to customise your home and create a brand new property that suits your needs, budget and lifestyle. Building is a big project that requires understanding, planning and management. At Elliott Hardie, we are a Canberra based residential building company that specialises in custom built homes that reflect the needs and wants of our clients. Here are a few steps to help you understand the process involved when planning a new build.
Ensure You Have Pre-Approval from Your Lender
Construction finance can be complex and the amount of deposit required will vary depending on the lender you approach. Before you seek out finance, make sure you have a detailed plan in place as construction home loans rely on an estimate of the assumed value of the completed house, your bank will want to have detailed construction plans that are fully costed.
Check If You Are Entitled to A Government Grant
If you’re building your first home, you could be entitled to a First Home Owner Grant (FHOG), dependent on the state or territory in which you live. Similarly, depending on your state or territory, you might be eligible for stamp duty concessions on the purchase of your building lot. Make sure you check the rules in your State or Territory to understand if there is a grant available to you and whether you qualify.
Find The Right Block of Land
Sometimes it may be beneficial to buy a house and land package as opposed to a private block. However, you may prefer to secure your dream block first, and then take your time in choosing the right home and builder. When choosing a block, make sure the size suits both your budget and the house design you have in mind. Also take into account your desired neighbourhood and make sure the local transport links, education, scenery and security suits your needs.
Choose the Right Builder
One of the most important decisions you will have to make in the home building process so make sure you do your homework and find a reputable builder you feel you can trust. The right builder will work with you to design and build a home to suits your lifestyle perfectly. Visit Canberra display homes and if any friends or relatives have recently built a house, ask for their advice and recommendations. When you find a builder you like:
- Make sure the builder is a member of Master Builders or the Housing Industry Association (HIA).
- Have a close look at some of the houses the builder has constructed in the past to ensure the level of quality is high.
- Ask them for any design suggestions that you may not have considered. An experienced builder will be able to recommend design features that will optimise space and functionality.
- As you’ll be working with them for a number of months, make sure you’re comfortable with them and that they communicate well.
- When discussing price, ask what items are not fixed and what costs are likely to change. Make sure you understand what is and what is not included in the price.
Design a Home to Suit Your Lifestyle
Whether you are wanting to build a modest family home or a large scale mansion, the layout of the rooms and how they flow will largely depend on your lifestyle. Some things to consider when designing your home include:
- How many bedrooms you need and if you want them all together or a separate master at the other end of the house.
- Do you need a dedicated theatre room, home gym, study or play room for the kids?
- How much garage space to you need? Double garages are usually standard on homes with three or more bedrooms, but you may want a workshop for extra storage, or maybe a triple garage to accommodate family cars and a boat.
- How much outdoor living space do you wish to have? If you entertain frequently and like to make the most of the outdoors, then a large alfresco living space would be ideal.
Assessing your family’s lifestyle and your preferences to how you enjoy living will help you determine everything you need to include in your floorplan design.
If you are looking for the best residential building company to build your first home, Elliott Hardie is Canberra’s premier home builder. With a modern approach to building, we will work collaboratively with you to deliver a dream home that exceeds your expectations. Get in touch with us on 0479 106 944 to find out more.